Under the University of Dhaka, the institute has been commenced its journey with the following objectives–
- to produce qualified manpower and skills in the field of tannery, footwear, and leather goods sector.
- to provide quality education leading to Bachelor of Science (B. Sc.), Master of Science (M.Sc.), Master of Philosophy (M.Phil), Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) and Diploma degrees in the leather engineering and technology and related field;
- to initiate, organize and undertake research in the field of Leather Engineering and Technology;
- to provide in-plant and industry-oriented short and long term training programs in various fields of leather, footwear, and leather products;
- to provide quality control and laboratory facilities for testing raw materials, consumable, and finished goods;
- to organize seminars, conferences, workshops, exhibitions, and other events to disseminate knowledge about cutting-edge technology for raw hides/skins processing and the development of footwear and leather product;
- to provide consultancy and advisory services to institutions, NGOs, private and public sector corporations, who seek such assistance;
- to establish link-programs and research collaborations with various institutions/ organizations within the country and abroad.