In 1921, the establishment of Dhaka University started with three halls. These were Salimullah Hall, Dacca Hall and Jagannath Hall. On August 22, 1929, Sir Stanley Jackson, Chancellor of the Dhaka University laid the foundation-stone of the Salimullah Muslim Hall. Until then, the present Salimullah Muslim Hall had been only known as Muslim Hall operating with some rooms in the 1st floor of the Old Secretariat Building (at present Dhaka Medical College and Hospital). On August 11, 1931, Sir Stanley Jackson Chancellor of the Dhaka University officially inaugurated the Salimullah Muslim Hall building. In 1931-32 academic session the students were given the first attachment to this hall. The effective guidance of the first provost Sir A.F.Rahman (1921-26) contributed to the making of the prestigious traditions of Salimullah Muslim Hall. There are 180 rooms in this hall. Among these, 152 rooms are allotted for the students. There has been a beautiful garden inside the hall premises where many seasonal plants are cultivated every year for attracting visitors. To support the academic, spiritual and extracurricular activities of the students, the hall is having a mosque, a debating club, a hall library, a reading room, a drama including a music club.